Season’s greetings!!! I decided to begin this month by posting a very simple and one of the most exciting parts of the Christmas celebration. Because, who could think of a Christmas dinner without the vibrant colours of the sugar cookies enticing you from the table? These simple yet elegant cookies are a must try, with their lucid aroma and their alluring vibrancy. The best part, this is the perfect opportunity to sit and spend time with your family, and decorate the cookies together. Go crazy with the frosting and sprinkles. Have a few laughs. Get into the Christmas spirit. Here’s the recipe for these irresistible Christmas Sugar Cookies.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus some for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Food colouring
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla extract and milk and mix well. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the prepared mixture and mix until totally combined.
- Wrap the dough with a cling wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175°C. Prepare the baking sheet and prepare the frosting as shown in the recipe. Seperate into smaller bowls and add the colours of your choice.
- Sprinkle some flour onto the surface and roll the dough until about ⅛” thick. Cut the shapes with the cookie cutter and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Pop them in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool
- Let the cookies reach room temperature before decorating or the frosting will melt. Once cool, decorate the cookies with the frosting and sprinkles.